The Digital Season is a festival of 21st century choreographers, made up of excerpts of some of NYCB contemporary repertoire, including:
- Justin Peck, Easy, filmed on May 3, 2018 (world premiere performance).
The season has given us a number of opportunities to assess Peck's work as NYCB resident choreographer. Easy will add to our view of his work.
- Pam Tanowitz, Bartók Ballet (excerpt), filmed on May 2, 2019 (world premiere performance).
Tanowitz was a huge revelation for London audiences when she brought her Four Quartets to the Barbican the season before last; and one of the great disappointments of the curtailment of the 2019/20 season was the loss of her New Work for Goldberg Variations, which had been billed for the same venue. We can't wait to see this work she created for NYCB.
- Alexei Ratmansky, Voices (excerpt), filmed on January 30, 2020 (world premiere performance).
Ratmansky is one of the most exciting choreographers working today. NYCB's 2020 Digital Season has already shown us one of his pieces; now we can see an excerpt from a different, but equally enticing work.
- Gianna Reisen, Composer's Holiday (excerpt), filmed on September 28, 2017 (world premiere performance).
This is an interesting one: Gianna Reisen was in her late teens when she contributed a ballet to NYCB's repertoire. She was and remains the youngest choreographer ever to do so.
- Kyle Abraham, The Runaway (excerpt), filmed on January 31, 2019.
Featuring Taylor Stanley.
The choreographer Kyle Abraham has been garnering plaudits, superlatives and a raft of awards for his dance making, described as equal parts power and grace. The Runaway, created for the New York City Ballet's 2018 Fall Fashion Gala was recognised as one of the ‘Best Dance of 2018' by The New York Times.
- Justin Peck, The Times Are Racing (excerpt), filmed on January 26, 2017 (world premiere performance).
Featuring Robert Fairchild and Justin Peck.
Justin Peck dances in his own creation with Robert Fairchild, whom you may have seen on the London stage when he starred in the musical An American in Paris at the Drury Lane Theatre.
- Mauro Bigonzetti, Oltremare (excerpt), filmed on April 23, 2019.
Bigonzetti is Italy's best known contemporary choreographer, and has created work for a wide range of international dance companies.